River Pines is a beautiful 96 acre community of 355 single-family condominium homes consisting of 110 detached units and 245 units in three- and four-unit buildings. The site is located in Farmington Hills, MI at the intersection of Nine Mile Rd. and Drake.
HomeBack to homepage
From the President
- January 31, 2017
Greetings, River Piners. So far in the new year, the Board has met twice. We had our first formal meeting last week, and we’ve also met informally, with no others in attendance, to talk about the state of the Association and about plans for the coming year. One good intention that came out of our conversation is an interest in reviewing the Bylaws. There are at least several areas of new technology (drones, for an example) that are not referred to in the Bylaws, though it would be prudent for the Bylaws to mention them for the sake of granting an explicit authority to the Board to devise regulations should they become necessary. Any change to the Bylaws involves a serious amount of work, as it requires co-owner approval by a 2/3 majority. So if we’re going to make that effort we’ll also review the entire document to see if there are any other areas that need to be clarified. Your comments and suggestions are of course welcome.
A recent modification request asked permission to change the porch light fixture. While this type of change has indeed happened already a number of times within River Pines, it is awkward to realize that we don’t have any written guidance in the rule book. So for the time being the Board adopted a policy of granting such a request with the condition that any new fixture be roughly the same size, shape, and color as the original, and that its illumination not annoy any neighbors. I’d expect that when we next update the rule book this item will be added to the pre-approved list.
- December 29, 2016
Greetings River Piners. By now you should have received your December mailing, including the notice of your dues for 2017 as well as a new Directory and Handbook. The Handbook replaces all previous publications of rules and regulations. The change in dues from 2016 to 2017 accounts for the budget increase of 1.4% as well as the adjustments to correct the errors that were discovered in the calculations of co-owner per cent ownership (and described in excruciating detail in the most recent River Pines Newsletter). So no dues increase will be exactly 1.4%, but only a few will be greatly different.
You will also soon receive the second (and last) mailing of the second amendment of the Consolidating Master Deed. The amendment turned out to be bulkier than expected, but we do have to include all drawings that had needed corrections, and the law requires that a copy be delivered to co-owners. The document itself, as registered, will be posted on our web site as soon as it is available.
The October and November Board meetings saw no major decisions made, though routine business included approval of contracts for spruce tree deep-root fertilization and for porch wood replacement. The porch wood replacement will be more extensive than usual, since we decided to inspect all porches, rather than just those due for staining next year. The Board also gave tentative approval to a schedule for asphalt replacement for the years 2017-2020, as recommended by the ACC.
See all posts “From the President”
Around River Pines
- Ice Dams – As we move into February and March, this is the time we see ice dams form on some units. The freezing and thawing weather causes this condition and it can damage the roof of your unit and cause leaks. If you see heavy icicle’s building up around your gutters, give Bob Goodman 248-756-3888 or Greg 734-323-7594 a call and let them know.
- Snow Season – Remember, the snow season is here so please don’t park on the street when we have snow storms and park your car in the garage so we can clean the driveway effectively.
- Annual Meeting – The 2017 River Pines Annual Meeting will be held on September 20, 2017 at the Costick Center. We will be electing new board members. Please put this date on your calendar and plan to attend.
- Board Meeting – Board Meetings are typically held on the 4th Tuesday of the month. The next Board meeting will be on March 28, 2017.
- River Pines Breakfast – The River Pines breakfast is scheduled for first Saturday of every month, 10:00 am at Kerby’s Coney Island 21200 Haggarty Road in Northville. See you there.
- 2017 Spring Information Meeting – The next Spring Information Meeting will be held on May 24, 2017 and will start at 7:00 pm. Please plan to attend and find out what’s going on in River Pines.
River Pines is managed by McShane & Associates, Inc. and handles the day-to-day administration of the association. Most of your questions or concerns can be handled by contacting their office.
In a condominium association, the Board of Directors establishes the policies, sets the budget and then directs the management firm to carry them out.
Annual Meeting of the Members
The Annual Association Meeting is held in September of each year at the Farmington Hills Costick Center on 11 mile road. Prior to the meeting we will let members know how many board seats are up for election and other issues that may be considered.
Living in River Pines
“Just wanted to share our thoughts about the professional job that Pasko & Tony and their crew from American Euro Painting, Inc. are doing. They spent several days scraping the entire units, caulking, and replacing wood before ever starting to paint. They are methodical, neat,and very hard workers taking great pride in their workmanship. The quality of paint being used gives a rich appearance, especially the front door and garage. Read more from neighbors